BEATNIKS AND BOOKS: Rip! A Remix Manifesto

Category: , , ,


When growing up it was difficult to pursue a passion for music when I didn't actually play any instruments. I would try my hand at many of them, even rapping. But due to creative and financial limitations I never developed any talent. As frustrating as this was, it was indeed one of my reasons for starting this blog. I didn't want to be another spectator. I wanted to participate in the art that I have so much love for. At the very least, I wanted to be apart of the dialogue, to be able to articulate and share my opinions with all the other music lovers and hip hop heads out there.

Beatniks and Books is basically a manifestation of that desire to be more than a passive listener. In this occasional column we will post links to films, articles or books that further examine the complexities of all things music. Hopefully, these posts will encourage thought and dialogue and at the very least, fuel the passion that I know many of you have for the shit we post on this site.

The subject of our first Beatniks and Books is Rip! A Remix Manifesto. Directed by Brett Gaylor, this hour and half doc analyzes the changing concept of copyright. Following artists like Girl Talk and activists like Lawrence Lessig, the film reveals the complexities of copyright laws and the limitations they can have on creativity. It also highlights the art and history of remixing which I personally dig. I definitely recommend watching it.

Keep Beating,
Ginsgood

Comments (0)

Post a Comment